Cold and Flu Season is Upon Us!
It’s that time of year again and some nasty cold bugs are going around. Here are a few things each of us can do to help prevent these bugs from spreading in the gym.
- If you’re sick, stay home. I know it’s hard to stay away from the gym, but it’s even worse if you’re getting your fellow CrossFitters or Coaches sick. Stay home and rest. You can’t always sweat out the sickness. And if you’re dead set on working out, reach out to one of your coaches for some at-home workouts.
- Wipe down your workout stations after each workout. This is something we should be getting in the habit of doing, even if it’s not cold and flu season. This includes: pull-up pars, abMats, the GHD, rower seats and handles, barbells, kettlebells, and mopping up our sweat angels. If you touch it, wipe it down. There are 2 stations with sanitizing wipes; 1 at the main entrance to the CrossFit area and 1 by the lifting platforms.
- Washing your hands before and after class. Just in case someone forgets to wipe down their station, take the extra precaution of washing your hands and/or wiping down your equipment prior to using it. We also have hand sanitizer located at the main CrossFit entrance, under the clock.
- Drink lots of fluids. Staying hydrated and eating well can only help you fight off these nasty bugs. Make sure you’re bringing your water bottles to class and make it a goal to get through at least 1 full water bottle by the time you leave the gym.
- Dress appropriately. It’s starting to get chilly outside and therefore, chilly in the gym. Dress in layers so you can stay warm during your warm-ups and peel them off as needed for the workouts. With our Fall workouts we still run in the rain, so packing a beanie, rain jacket, and an extra pair of socks and shoes is a great idea.